Cool New Posts

1 Sept 2011

The Serenity Prayer

The Serenity Prayer is widely admired,  quoted and used. It appeals to both heart and mind. Probably that is why it has universal appeal. It is variously attributed to the theologian Reinhold Niebuhr, the saint Thomas Aquinas, and even to the ancient philosopher-king  Marcus Aurelius.

The first verse is definitely the best known.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.


These lines are adopted and widely used by Alcoholics Anonymous, some armed forces and many churches. There are different  versions too. But the essential meaning remains the same. I like the following adaptation made for children in the Mother Goose style!

For every ailment under the sun
There is a remedy, or there is none;
If there be one, try to find it;
If there be none, never mind it.


The rest of the Serenity Prayer continues like this:

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time; 
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace.

Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right


if I surrender to His Will.
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.

2 comments:

Blog Archive

Search Me